Welcome to the FCCC website!

Welcome to the FCCC Member Forum, please feel free to ask questions, make comments or give tips on any photography related topic. Please be aware that there are rules, and your post will be taken down if you violate them. No blatant advertising, although recommendations may be made. No Profanity, and treat everybody with the respect that you would expect to be treated. Other than that enjoy.

Notifications
Clear all

Masai woman  

RSS

Diane Sisko
(@diane-sisko)
20/04/2017 4:10 pm  

I took this photo in Tanzania as a first time user of my DSLR camera.   Am interested in how I could have shot or processed this image differently to make it better.   I like it because it leaves me with a question on what she is feeling - the difficulty of daily life, sadness, struggles.   I am a beginning photographer and would appreciate any suggestions.

Christine Cook
(@christine-cook)
Active Member Moderator
25/05/2017 8:04 am  

Diane,

In my opinion, you have captured a very natural soulful moment in this woman's face and it is beautiful. I like the simplicity very much. I have some suggestions for shooting and processing. When shooting people I avoid flash whenever possible or reduce the amount of flash by covering my pop-up flash with two fingers or lowering the power on a hotshoe flash. This would avoid the large flash area in her incredible eyes, which is the focus of the image. In processing I would emphasize her face and minimize the background and the brightness in the jewelry and shirt. Then I might brighten her eyes a touch or use clarity. A soft vignette around her head might finish it off nicely. I played with this image in photoshop and have a version that i would be happy to send you if you are interested.

ReplyQuote
Christine Cook
(@christine-cook)
Active Member Moderator
25/05/2017 8:08 am  

Hi again Diane. I just figured out how to send you my version. So here it is.

ReplyQuote
Diane Sisko
(@diane-sisko)
25/05/2017 8:14 am  

Thank you so much for your input.  It will help me become a better photographer.   I would love to see how you processed the image.  

ReplyQuote
Diane Sisko
(@diane-sisko)

Thank you so much for your input.  It will help me become a better photographer.   I would love to see how you processed the image.  

ReplyQuote
Diane Sisko
(@diane-sisko)

ReplyQuote
Christine Cook
(@christine-cook)
Active Member Moderator
25/05/2017 9:48 am  

Diane, just click on the image number with the word edited added, next to the paper clip in the second message I sent you.

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: