Welcome to the FCCC website!

Welcome to the FCCC Member Forum, please feel free to ask questions, make comments or give tips on any photography related topic. Please be aware that there are rules, and your post will be taken down if you violate them. No blatant advertising, although recommendations may be made. No Profanity, and treat everybody with the respect that you would expect to be treated. Other than that enjoy.

Notifications
Clear all

Polo Action Shot  

RSS

Paul F. Gaecke
(@paul-f-gaecke)
20/04/2017 12:06 pm  

This photograph was taken of a semi-final tournament game at The Villages Polo Club in early April, 2017. It was a cloudless day and the sun created harsh shadows earlier in the afternoon. This picture was taken later in the afternoon, when the sun was down in the west and the shadows were more tolerable. I normally take a shooting position in a corner of the field on the goal line with the sun at my back, trying to get shots with the action coming toward me on an angle towards the goal. In this instance I tried a shooting position directly behind the goal with my camera held as low as I could in order to get the effect of the crown in the field, making it appear that I was shooting up...I guess I was shooting up.

The metadata is as follows...

• Canon 7D Mark II
  • EF 100-400 f.4.5 to 5.6 L zoom lens.
  • Shot at 400mm, f5.6, 1/2,000, ISO 400.
  • Post-processed in Lightroom (crop, shadows adjustment, a bit of color adjustment to intensify the green color, minor Clarity and Sharpening adjustments, and a subtle vignette to draw attention to the horses and players).

Comments?

Christine Cook
(@christine-cook)
Active Member Moderator
25/05/2017 7:32 am  

Sorry to get to you so late after posting.

I like the angle of this shot very much. It emphasizes the sweaty withers of the two front horses and leads my eye up to the intense expressions on the riders' faces. Focus and shutter speed seem just right to me. Suggestions: In my opinion, it is unnecessary to enrich the green color as that is background and I would want the focus on the two front horses and riders. In fact, a tad less color and focus on the third man might work well too. To me the main person in this is the first rider on the left and unfortunately, his head is very close to the top and his stick is leading out of the frame. But I do realize this was a very hard to capture shot.

ReplyQuote
Paul F. Gaecke
(@paul-f-gaecke)
25/05/2017 7:51 am  

Thoughtful and well-founded suggestions. Spring polo is almost over, but I'll take your suggestions into account as I look at post-processing any more shots I take this season.

ReplyQuote
Nancy Springer
(@nancy-springer)
25/05/2017 10:16 am  

I agree with Christine on this. My only addition would be to eliminate the distracting golf carts and the green object on the left. For future shots, I would suggest you don't get too low so all the hooves would be visible.

ReplyQuote
Nancy Springer
(@nancy-springer)
25/05/2017 10:16 am  

I agree with Christine on this. My only addition would be to eliminate the distracting golf carts and the green object on the left. For future shots, I would suggest you don't get too low so all the hooves would be visible.

ReplyQuote
Paul F. Gaecke
(@paul-f-gaecke)
25/05/2017 1:15 pm  

Could I get rid of the golf carts in the background? Sure. But eliminating all but organic background items would be a bit like removing background crowd from a football or basketball game. I considered cloning out the background, but I thought the bokeh was sufficient to soften the background against the sharp focus of the action.

The low perspective on the shot was done on purpose--different from my more common shots using a monopod standing to the side of a goal. Even from a standing perspective you don't always get a "full look" at the horse's hoofs; they're often not shown as the hoofs penetrate the grass field.

ReplyQuote
Christine Cook
(@christine-cook)
Active Member Moderator
25/05/2017 2:15 pm  

Must also remember, IF you're going to submit into FCCC Documentary, you can only make global corrections.

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: